The Department of Plant and Microbial Biology is proud to offer a call for applications for the W. Scott and Mary Dell Chilton Undergraduate Research Award. The application deadline is Friday, April 13, 2018. The award recipient will be announced at the Ice Cream Social on Tuesday, May 1.
- Students must be rising sophomores, juniors, or seniors with an interest in becoming involved in research with a faculty member in Plant and Microbial Biology.
- Students must secure the consent of a faculty member in Plant and Microbial Biology to be their sponsor.
- Students can be majors in any department in any college.
- Funds of up to $1,500 will be furnished by the Chilton Undergraduate Research Foundation.
- Funds are available to the awardee as a stipend. The award may not be used to purchase research supplies or equipment.
- The award may be made for any two consecutive semesters, including summer semester.
- Under exceptional circumstances, awards may be renewed for a second year, however awardees must reapply each year.
- The award may be divided among more than one recipient.
How and when to apply
- Prospective students should contact a faculty member to discuss a possible project.
- Once the student has enough information to write a short proposal on the proposed research, they should fill out the Chilton Applicant Information Sheet and, with the faculty member, the Faculty Sponsor Form.
- Submit the completed forms and proposal by April 13, 2018 to Kayla Telford, Undergraduate Program Assistant, 2115 Gardner Hall, Box 7612 NCSU, or email them as one file to email@example.com.
- Incomplete applications and applications submitted after April 13 will not be reviewed.
- Interviews for selected candidates will be scheduled for late April and a recipient(s) will be announced on Tuesday May 1, 2018 at the Plant and Microbial Biology Spring Ice Cream Social, beginning at 3:45pm.